- Kiln Firing Rental and Firing Fees
The Clay Studio is providing kiln rentals to anyone who needs firings at cone 06 bisque and cone 6 glaze firings. The Clay Studio staff will unpack, load, fire, unload, repack your work in the original boxes and contract you to pick up your work.
Community members renting kilns need to have a credit card saved on file with us before dropping off work. Please call 215.925.3453 to put a credit card on file.
We ask for a receipt or proof of firing temperatures for the clay and glazes we are firing. Please include that when dropping off or email the receipt/information to email@example.com
Please fill out and bring this Kiln Rental Check in Form when dropping off your work.
Pricing for Kiln Rentals:
Electric Bisque Cone 06
- $18 for a third of a kiln (1 ring, approximately 9” tall x 23” in diameter)
- $30 for a half kiln (2 rings, approximately 18” tall x 23” in diameter)
- $60 for a full kiln (3 rings, approximately 27” tall x 23” in diameter)
We will prorate the charge for whatever amount of space you take up - for example, if you use half a ring, the charge will be $10.
Electric Glaze Firing Cone 6
- $30 for a third of a kiln (1 ring, approximately 9” tall x 23” in diameter)
- $45 for a half kiln (2 rings, approximately 18” tall x 23” in diameter)
- $90 for a full kiln (3 rings, approximately 27” tall x 23” in diameter)
We will prorate the charge for whatever amount of space you take up - for example, if you use half a ring, the charge will be $15. Please note the minimum charge for a kiln rental is $10.
Dropping off work:
You can drop off your work during regular gallery hours Monday-Saturday 11am-6pm on Sundays 12-6pm on the first floor.
- Please include the signed contract (below), the kiln rental check in form and contact information in the box when dropping off.
- Individuals renting kiln space are responsible for transporting work to the studio and then picking it up once fired.
- Those renting kilns are not permitted to load, fire or unload the kiln themselves.
Condition of work:
All bottoms of pieces must be free of glaze. There must be at least a ¼” margin on all glaze pieces. If these rules are not followed, you may be assessed an additional charge to wipe the bottom or sides of your pieces.
Picking up fired work:
We will email you at the email provided to us on the contract to let you know your work is finished and ready to be picked up. You can pick up your work on the first floor during regular gallery hours Monday-Saturday 11am-6pm on Sundays 12-6pm.
Please note that we will hold your work for 30 days; if this time has elapsed with no communication from you, your work will be donated to our annual Pottery Sale or recycled.
Please note that we fire to cone 06 and cone 6 only. We do not accept once fired work up to cone 6; all work must be bisqued first.
Cone Firing Documentation:
Those renting kilns must provide written or visual documentation of the clay and glazes used and their appropriate firing temperatures if using clay or glazes purchased outside of The Clay Studio. This could include a receipt, photo of a clay box label or a glaze bottle label. We cannot fire your work without this documentation.
A valid credit card must be on file with us before renting a kiln. Please call us at 215.925.3453 x19 or x12 to give us your credit card information.
Kiln invoices must be paid within 10 days of the day they are sent out or a $25 late fee will be charged. Invalid credit card payments may result in additional fees and kiln rental privileges being revoked in the future.
Breakage and unwanted results:
The Clay Studio is not responsible for breakage of work or poor glazing results in the kiln due to maker error. However, every effort will be made to load and unload all items carefully.
Damage to kiln or equiptment:
If your clay or glazes cause damage to our kilns, you will be assessed an additional fee to replace shelves, posts or other equipment. This can range from $25 to replace a shelf to $3000 to replace an entire kiln. We will contact you if these fees need to be assessed and add them to your monthly firing invoice.
Firing turnaround times:
We will try to have your work fired within two weeks; however at peak times kiln rentals may take longer. If you are under a deadline please plan ahead and communicate your deadline to us in advance.
We may need to include additional firing charges based on a number of factors, including wiping glaze off bottoms, stilting wobbly pieces, etc. Base rate for these services is $10 and increases depending on how many pieces need special attention.
If you have questions about additional fees please email carin Carin@theclaystudio.org.
Glazing bisqued items is an available option. Base rate for this service is $15. Please contact us for additional information.
Gas kiln and other temperature firings are available on a limited basis. Please contact Carin@theclaystudio.org for more information.
- Homespun: Wheel Rental
The Clay Studio (TCS) Homespun program includes a TCS Brent pottery wheel for at home use, firings of clay purchased at TCS, and monthly Zoom "office hours" with a Teaching Artist.
Keep the creativity flowing while at home by setting up a temporary home studio with a TCS wheel. Receive monthly Zoom group feedback on your work with one of our Teaching Artists and schedule time to glaze your work at the studio during none open studio hours.
Each Homespun student must have sufficient skill and experience to work safely and independently at home and The Clay Studio is not responsible for the set-up or cleaning/safety protocols of each participant’s at-home clay work space.
Homespun program details include:
- Participants will be charged $65 monthly to a credit card on file while participating in the program.
- Participants are financially responsible for any repairs necessary to the pottery wheel while in their home studios or upon finishing the program.
- Participants must bring the pottery wheel back to TCS for repairs.
- In order to have the artwork made at home processed at TCS, clay MUST BE purchased from the school store. Outside clay and glazes will not be processed at TCS.
- Notify Josie Bockelman, Chief Operating Officer, when you are ready to leave the program at firstname.lastname@example.org / 215-925-3453 x.23.
- Upon leaving the program, participants agree to bring the wheel, splash pan, and stool back to the studio within 5 days of ending the program or the current amount for replacing the missing equipment will be charged to the participant’s credit card on file.
- Refund Policies
- Homespun Wheel Rental Program:We ask for a 30 day notice .
- No refunds are available and additional fees for the cost of the equipment will apply due to equipment damage or non-return.