A Letter to our Community
The Clay Studio would like to introduce the recent work that we have been doing in our newly formed Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusivity (DEAI) Committee. The Committee was formed in July 2020 as a response to recent police violence against black people and the protests, discussions, and reexaminations of current institutions that followed.
Since our founding in 1974, we have been dedicated to sharing the power of ceramic art and education as a force for good in our community. We now recognize that to truly live up to our values we must recommit to educating ourselves, listening to our community, and making changes based on feedback we receive. Please follow our progress on this website, which will evolve and be continuously updated.
We are particularly excited to communicate that in this new year, we will be bringing in the expertise of consultants from The ROZ Group to conduct an independent diversity assessment of The Clay Studio. This assessment will allow The ROZ Group to provide tailored DEAI training and to advise our staff and our board of directors on a strategic plan for a more inclusive and accessible organization. The consultant firm, led by Roz McPherson, has previously worked with local community organizations such as the African American Museum in Philadelphia and Fleisher Art Memorial, and is highly regarded in their field. We sincerely believe their leadership and understanding of our specific functions, needs, and values as a community arts organization will be a positive force as TCS works to serve all of our community better.
Martin Luther King Day of Service, 2021
In order to serve folks during this critical time, it is very important to share resources and opportunities available to support each other, starting on King Day and continuing on throughout the year.
With that in mind, the Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service provides a few key programs occurring as part of the 2021 King Day of Service:
- FREE COVID-19 Testing at Girard College (1/18 9am-12pm)
- Virtual Career Exploration Expo - Presented by Community College of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Youth Network, and Urban League of Philadelphia (1/18 10am-2pm)
- King Day of Service Virtual Kids' Carnival (1/16-1/18 Various Times)
- Philadelphia Department of Public Health Medical Reserve Corps Virtual Training (1/18 10am-12pm)
- American Red Cross Blood Drive (1/18 8am-6pm)
- Virtual Seminar on "The Role of Sports in Combating Racism and Antisemitism" (1/18 11am-12pm)
These opportunities and more are all available on a volunteer portal, which can be found directly at volunteer.globalcitizen365.org or via mlkdayofservice.org. Other programs include limited in-person activities like cleanups, food distribution, and donation drives as well as virtual programs such as community conversations, read-a-louds, and various workshops and trainings.
- Create a sliding scale and Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) scholarships for classes and workshops
- Update current literature to reflect the resources that The Clay Studio offers
- Recruit board, staff, in-house artists, and shop artists to reflect the broad diversity of Philadelphia
- Partner with artistic, community, and educational organizations from diverse communities
- Include accessibility information for events and programs in our literature
- Make our content accessible to people of all abilities
We are looking for more people to join the DEAI Committee! Our meetings are once a month on Tuesday nights. Anyone from The Clay Studio community is encouraged to get involved — from students, Resident artists, Associate artists, interns, to other invested parties. Please contact Christine Jung at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this voluntary collaboration with The Clay Studio. Non-monetary compensation is available for interested BIPOC community members.
- By the Numbers
- Our Partners