About the Program
The vibrant artistic environment of The Clay Studio provides Work Exchange Program members with a chance to experience first-hand the life of working artist, arts administrators and arts educators within a non-profit arts community.
The Work Exchange Program is a 1-2 year self-directed, independent study, educational program that provides its participants with unlimited access to a shared studio, as well as affordable materials, firings, critiques and development opportunities to help them achieve their objectives as an artist. In exchange each individual provides 40 hours a month (8 hours one day a week) of support and is responsible for various tasks needed to maintain a functioning ceramics studio. Tasks are varied but some examples include studio maintenance, customer service, assisting special events, glaze preparation, kiln operation, teaching, community engagement, gallery experience and sales.
Applicants to The Clay Studio's Work Exchange Program should be ceramic graduates or artists interested in furthering their ceramic education and portfolio development. This is an incredible opportunity for artists to join a supportive educational environment while building their resume and portfolio.
July 1st, 2020
How to Apply
A complete application must include the following:
- Completed application form
- Artist statement
- Personal statement: Tell us everything you want us to know about yourself, including your reasons for applying to the program.
- Ten digital images (.jpeg files at 72 dpi), with the image's longest dimension not exceeding 700 pixels. Each image file should be labeled as follows: imagenumberyourfirstinitialandlastname.jpeg. Example: 1jdoe.jpeg, 2jdoe.jpeg, etc.
- A corresponding image list that includes the following: image number, title, medium, size, and date
- There is no application fee.
- Download application here
Please email all application materials to Carin Sankus at Carin@theclaystudio.org
Subject line: Work Exchange Program Application
All applicants will be notified by email. Participation in The Clay Studio’s Work Exchange Program begins in September of every year or as space is available.