About the Exhibition
The Clay Studio National is a biannual exhibition that showcases the wide range of ceramic art being made in the United States today.
Exhibition Dates: June 20th - August 2, 2020 - Reception, June 20th
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to the current situation we have made some changes to this year's exhibition in order to best benefit artists.
1. Application Fee is now OPTIONAL (see How to Apply for details)
2. The physical show will include works by artists living within a 100 mile radius of Philadelphia. The full Virtual Exhibition will include artists anywhere in the United States. This is to limit the cost of participating in the exhibition, as artists will not have to ship the work from afar.
3. Virtual show participants must be able to supply professional quality photographs of the work if it is accepted, and be willing to pack and ship the work to a customer if purchased. The Clay Studio robustly promote the Virtual Exhibition work, create special online content for those artists, and will cover the cost of shipping to the client.
We are excited to adapt and problem solve to best serve the artists accepted into the exhibition and remove any cost barriers that would prevent aritsts effected by the current situation from participating in this important exhibition. In fairness, no exceptions will be made to the 100 mile radius rule for physical participation in the gallery sector of the exhibition.
Lauren Sandler is the Assistant Professor and Program Head of Ceramics at Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA.
Sandler is an artist and educator whose work deconstructs mythologies and investigates narratives of power and perspective. With fragmented forms, allegorical vessels and mundane assemblages, Sandler amplifies interdependence, highlights stories obfuscated or erased and implicates our assumptions of normal and worth. With a background in anthropology, she examines the myriad chronicles told by objects and develops work where the visceral and structural meet a shared intersection of body, culture and history.
Sandler exhibits nationally and publishes work and lectures concerning issues of equity in ceramics. She currently serves on the Board of The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts as Director at Large.
MFA, Ceramics, Penn State University, 2007
BFA, Ceramics, State University of New York, New Paltz, 2004
BA, Anthropology, Ithaca College, 1995
Our Guest Juror, Lauren Sandler, and Curator of Artistic Programs at The Clay Studio, Jennifer Zwilling, will jury the applicants and choose objects to be shown in the exhibition.
Application Deadline Extended
Extended to May 26, 2020 (midnight)
- Artists may submit up to 3 artworks
- One image of each artwork only
- Each artwork will be judged individually
- Image file names should not have any spaces in them
- Use Chrome for best functionality with the application portal
How to Apply
Click on the link in the button at the top of the page to reach the application.
A complete application must include the following:
- Personal contact information - submitted when you create an account
- Artist Statement
- Website URL (if available) and/or social media handles
- Up to three digital images (of three different artworks)
- Click Save Item Info button before uploading each photo
- Click Upload button after each image is selected
- Optional $25 application fee.
- You will be sent an email asking for your preference after you submit.
- You may donate the full amount if you are able; this is a great way to support our organization, especially during this difficult time. If you would like to waive the fee or to donate a portion to us, use these discount codes:
• WAIVE - you donate nothing
• GIVE15 - you donate $15
• GIVE5 - you donate $5
Please email any questions to Jennifer Zwilling at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Application Question
Notification, Delivery, Pick Up, etc.
Notification will be made via email by May 29
Work is due to the Gallery by June 12
The Clay Studio commission is 50%. We will ship back any unsold work free of charge. Payments for sold work will be issued within 45 days of the end of the exhibition. The Clay Studio reserves the right not to show any work that does not reflect what was represented in the application.