Resident Artist Program
The Clay Studio Is now accepting applications for The Resident Artist Program.
The Clay Studio Resident Artist Program offers individuals the opportunity to further develop their work, to establish professional contacts and standards, and to work within a community of like-minded individuals in an urban environment for up to five years. One of the longest ceramic residencies in the world, The Clay Studio Residency allows artists to become successful members of The Clay Studio community, and the Philadelphia art community, while making national and international connections as well.
Currently the rent for residents is $175 due to a grant received from the Windgate Foundation. Should this grant not be renewed, rent will be raised but will not exceed $200.00 per month. Should grants not be renewed in 2017, the rent will return to $250, the standard Clay Studio subsidized rate.
The studio rentals are on a year-to- year basis. A $250.00 refundable security deposit and a yearly Clay Studio membership fee of $60.00 are also required upon entry into the program. Resident Artists also pay for the materials they use and firings (based on individual usage). Residents share common housekeeping work and contribute time to The Clay Studio as well.
This year one of the incoming Residents will be chosen as a Zeldin Family Foundation Fellow. This Fellowship is a prestigious award that includes a $500 per month stipend and a solo exhibition at the end of the year that will include a printed brochure.
A residency at The Clay Studio includes:
- Personal studio space (approximately 185-195 sq. ft.)
- Use of four electric and, for special projects one large gas kiln (specs available upon request)
- A full stocked glaze mixing area
- Teaching opportunities
- One solo exhibition sometime after the artist has been in residence for at least two years
- Group exhibition opportunities
- Grant writing support from our Development staff
- Professional support from the Curator and other staff
Apply through Slide Room. Application Deadline Sunday, April 23rd, 2017, at midnight.
A complete application must include the following:
- Personal contact information
- Artist Statement
- A personal statement telling us why you are applying to The Clay Studio, how it will benefit you and what you feel you have to contribute to The Clay Studio community
- 10 digital images
- A corresponding image list that includes the following: image number, title, medium, size, and date.
- 3 References
- $20 Application fee
NOTIFICATION WILL BE MADE VIA EMAIL.
The current body of Resident Artists, the Curator of Artistic Programs and one invited guest review and rank applicants. The Curator of Artistic Programs will then interview a small group of applicants based on the initial ranking. Spaces in the program are made available as current residents reach their 5-year term limit or leave the program before their term is up. The number of spots available is not known until the time of application review. All interested individuals are strongly encouraged to visit The Clay Studio prior to applying. All applicants will be notified by May 2nd 2017. Selected artists must accept or decline residency by May 15th, 2017. The residency will begin on September 1, 2017.
Please call Jennifer Zwilling at 215-925-3453 x18 or email email@example.com if you have any further questions about a residency at The Clay Studio.